Pages

3.29.2010

Hawaii

So in case you are the one person on earth I didn't tell, I went to Hawaii last week with Taylor and our friends, Matt and Stephanie. A-mazing.

Minus the sunburn that attacked me on our first day. It looks like I had an allergic reaction to the sun. Is that even possible? Who knows, but the wonderful splotches and inexplicable tan lines sure are lovely. I found out that the UV index in Hawaii is 10+. That's 10 more than Texas. I felt like Wall-E when he is flying through space and charges up by the sun. If you haven't seen Wall-E yet, please do so now so I don't sound like too much of an idiot.

That night we also went to a magic show. We were a little skeptical about it at first, because let's be honest, it's a magic show. Those can get pretty hokey sometimes. During dinner though, the magician came to our table and wowed us with a few card tricks. We were sold after that! He didn't disappoint in the main show either!

On our way to the magic show!

Of course no trip to Hawaii is complete without doing the touristy things like visiting Pearl Harbor and the Dole Pineapple plantation. Pearl Harbor was especially special. I'm no history buff like Matt, but even I could appreciate the magnitude of such a memorial. We had a good time learning some of the details of what happened that day and exploring some of the artifacts left over. The greatest sight that day was absolutely the Arizona memorial. I would go back to Hawaii just to see it all over again. While we were there, we got to talk to a few Pearl Harbor survivors. Old men are funny in general, but these old men were also badasses. One of them, Herb, even had his own stack of Oreo cookies that he took everywhere with him.

Taylor and I in front of the Arizona memorial

Herb liked to "take pictures with the pretty ladies"

After Pearl Harbor, we visited the Dole Pineapple plantation. This place is not only where they produce a ton of pineapples, but it's also the home of the World's Largest Maze.

I've decided I don't like mazes. Taylor and I had fun though trying to find the different checkpoints. Trying being the key word.

The next day we decided to go snorkeling on the North Shore of the island, but unfortunately we picked the wrong day and the wrong beach. It was so windy and rainy. I gave up early because my lips started to go numb from all of the salt water I kept inhaling. Talk about gross.

Taylor kept exploring though and got to see some exciting remnants from past beach visitors. Things like towels, sunglasses, and tires (?) of course. He did see one fish though, I can't wait to see the monster once he gets his underwater film developed. After we unsuccessfully snorkeled for a couple of hours, we returned our gear only to have the rental guy tell us we chose the wrong beach.

I wasn't too worried about it though, because I was trying to regain feeling in my lips still.

After the snorkeling "adventure" we got back to our hotel and got ready for the Luau that night. My suggestion to anybody considering a Hawaiian vacation--if you don't like coconut, just don't go. That is their favorite addition to anything they serve you. I'm just not a fan! The dancers at the Luau were pretty neat, there was even a NINE year old flame twirler. I'm sure that's every mother's dream for her child. And there was even one of Taylor's potential flight instructors from Del Rio right across from us at dinner!

On our last full day, after Taylor and I took Matt and Stephanie to the airport, we rode on a catamaran (sailboat) around the island. It was so peaceful and gorgeous. We got to meet a funny old man who trades the captains on the boat burritos and brownies for free rides whenever he wants. What a life, huh?


This trip was so much fun! I got to spend almost an entire week with Taylor on a beautiful island in the Pacific Ocean with great friends. I got to experience some history and some new foods, and I got a memorable sunburn. I wish I could go back right now!

Oh, a funny story! I can't count the number of people who asked Taylor and I how long we had been married or if we were on our honeymoon. Talk about awkward. I guess that's what happens though when you visit a family resort. It was pretty entertaining to tell people that no, we weren't married or anywhere close.

And because I don't like to take myself too seriously, here's a picture of me on our last day in Hawaii with my birthday present from Matt and Stephanie, complete with terrible sunburn. It was too sweet of them to get me floaties!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews