Pages

4.04.2010

Happy Birthday, Dad!


1990 at a family reunion

Today is my dad's 49th birthday! The past week he has been working himself up over the fact that next year he will be the big 5-0. I told him to go ask Mom what it's like since she's had a couple of years experience with that milestone and is still doing ok. (Some days.) Only kidding, she's great!

I don't really get too sentimental or mushy very often, but today as we were all in Tyler for our family's Easter dinner, my dad fixed Merpaw's air conditioner like it NO BIG DEAL. I started thinking about all the things he's fixed for me over the years and I wanted to beat my head on the wall for all the times I forgot to say, "thanks, Dad."

For as long as I can remember, Dad was able to fix anything and everything we could break. One time when I was a senior in high school, I got run off of the road by a trash truck and got stuck in the ditch. I called my dad and he literally picked my car up and put it back on the road. Seriously, how many people can say that?

Of course there have been, and knowing my dad and I, always will be times that we butt heads. And I have had my, "Oh my gosh, he just DOES NOT UNDERSTAND!!" moments while I'm sure he has resisted the urge on many occasions to pinch my head off. But he will always be the first one to help if I ever need it.

Sometimes I forget how great of a guy Dad is. He is always so willing to help anyone, he trusts everyone, he loves his family more than anything and the list could go on forever. Growing up with a dad who showed so much love and dedication, is something that I often take for granted and forget about.
2006 at a wedding


We fight and then fight some more, but at the end of the day, I wouldn't want any other Dad out there.



2008 at Dad's campaign

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews